February 6, 2008
Alain Lamasourre, MEP, (in his comment of 4 February) came up with a great idea for the appointment of the President of the European Council, which is expected to be decided during the French Presidency (July to December 2008). In a nutshell:
- Candidates are invited to declare themselves publicly.
- Each candidate has a televised hearing before the European Council, giving her/him the opportunity to state how she/he conceives the role and the relationship with the Commission President and Foreign Policy Chief.
- The European Council decides by qualified majority vote.
The advantages are obvious:
- Secrecy is eliminated.
- The public can easily relate to this process, which the media will certainly feature.
- The winning candidate should have greater legitimacy
Comments are specially invited – even if simply yes’ or ‘no’.Author : Stanley Crossick