May 22, 2008
Alain Lamasourre, in his comment of 4 February, came up with a great idea for the appointment of the President of the European Council. He is now working on a Parliamentary resolution proposing the following procedure:
• Candidates declare themselves between 15 December 2008 and 15 January 2009.
• The candidates then conduct campaigns.
• Each candidate has a televised hearing before the European Council, giving her/him the opportunity to state how she/he sees the role and what kind of relations are planned with other EU and national players.
The advantages are obvious:
• Secrecy is eliminated.
• The public can easily relate to this process, which the media will certainly feature.
• The winning candidate will have greater legitimacy
Lamasourre does not expect the European Council leaders to be attracted to the idea but he will promote the idea through the media and public opinion.