January 14, 2009
Set out below are extracts from the Israeli IDF (military) update of 13 January:
The main objectives of the IDF operation in the Gaza strip are:
- To bring about conditions for the creation of a better security situation in southern Israel-namely, the long-term cessation of rocket and mortar fire and all terrorist attacks from the Gaza Strip.
- To advance the achievements of the aerial campaign by taking control of the launch areas, continuing to attack Hamas targets, and preventing the continued strengthening of Hamas.
As to the ground offensive:
- Ground forces are deployed according to plan in the Southern Gaza Strip and prepared for further combat.
- The IDF continues to weaken Hamas and has taken hundreds of Hamas prisoners.
- During today’s operations, an IDF force uncovered a tunnel aimed to assist terrorists to enter Israel and carry out a large scale terror attack. The entrance to the tunnel was in a house located 300 meters from the fence.
- IDF forces from the Givati and Paratroop brigades uncovered weapons stores in tunnels, which were destroyed.
- The IDF has mobilized additional reserve troops and remains prepared for any eventuality.
Since Dec. 27th, 3 Israeli civilians were killed and approximately 255 were wounded (including 7 severely wounded).Author : Stanley Crossick